6 Fun Activities to do with the Kids While Quarantined


Hey y'all!

So we are six days into social distancing and I thought it might be fun to post 6 things to do with the kids while quarantined in your house!  While I don't have kids, I am a nanny by day (and night) which means most of my time is spent entertaining kids without wearing myself out.  Here is a list of 6 things I do that help you connect with the kids and entertain everyone.  

1. Draw a self portrait as their favorite tv character
This seems simple but the 4 and 2 year old I watch love it!  We're all big Star Wars fans and one day, after watching one of the movies, I thought it was time to take a break from tv and get creative.  I drew myself as a Jedi with them and they thought it was awesome.  Each kid got a large piece of paper and shared the crayons to create how they would like to look as a Jedi.  When they finished I wrote their names with the word "Jedi" in front of it and hung it on their bedroom walls.  They love to go back to their artwork and make stories up about then act it out.  A 20 minutes project turned into days of entertainment!



2. Have a race (with you as time keeper)
This is a great way to burn extra energy when you may be low on it.  If your home has an open concept or each room connects to form a circle, this can be used as your track.  Otherwise running in the back yard or around the house works just as well too.  Just stand where you can see the road.  Make a starting line, show them where to run, then "On your mark, get set, go!".  Tell them how fast they ran the lap when they get back and challenge them to beat the time.  They get exercise, learn the basics of Track, and how to work hard to improve on their best.  Don't forgot to cheer!

Pro Nanny tip: This activity is best enjoyed by adults with a nice drink in a cozy spot.  My drink of choice is a can of Grapefruit Bubbly or coffee.

If you want to join, do it!  Forget timing everyone and challenge them to beat you.  They. Love. It.  When everyone's tired out I always have water and snacks on had with their favorite show.  Not big into TV?  This is a great segway to a nap or quite pretend time.

3. Dance Par-tay (flashing lights and bubbles encouraged)!
I'm not a big dancer but with so much indoor time I've find it's a fun way to let out anxiety and connect with the kids.  Plus they think it's hilarious to see you stick your butt out and shuffle.  They'll copy you and show off their dance moves (which is perfect when you need to sit down to rest).  Add some colorful lights, bubbles, or balloons and they will be thrilled with your mad party skills.  

>> Check out this playlist I made to get started. << 

Disclaimer!  I'm not a DJ and my taste in music may vary greatly from yours.  I provide the link just to get you started if you're in a pinch.  If you love it, then awesome!  We should hang out lol

4. Hike a local trail 
Bonus points if you stop at your favorite local business to get carry out smoothies!  This is another simple but great way to get fresh air, explore, and maintain social distance.  Grab a bike, stroller, or your tennis shoes and hit the trails.  The sun provides vitamin D which is great for your immune system.  Don't forget the sunscreen!

Here is a search engine that allows you to find trails in  your area:

Photo by Josh Willink from Pexels

Pro Nanny Tip: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT bring a kids bike if they have a history of getting "tired" 10 minutes into the walk and ask "you to push it" for them.  Insert eye roll.  Instead bring a stroller and tell them they can run if they like (races anybody??).  Bring bubbles for more sensory fun!

5. Buy an art kit from a local studio
This is a double win: support a local small business and entertain the kids.  A lot of pottery studios are offering kits for you to pick up with all the supplies to make your own masterpiece.  Then they can be proudly displayed (or played with) when your done.

Photo: JSOnline

If you live in the Milwaukee area here is a list of studios offering this.  

If you live elsewhere please let me know and I'll make an official list and update it!

6. Lego/Brick building
If you have these, bust them out.  Boys an girls love them because you can make anything.  Houses, barns, cars, spaceships, you name it.  I always pour everything out on the ground and sit down with the kids and start building a house.  They become interested and start building with you and making up a story.  I also pour our other toys such as animals or dolls and build whole worlds with them.  Does Barbie have a pet dinosaur?  She sure does.  Are the zoo animals running crazy through your neighborhood and knocking down houses.  Hell yeah they are and you better build a moat with those blue blocks or the tiger is going to get you!

Don't worry about the mess.  I can be cleaned up.  It's a great way to teach the kids they need to pick up after themselves.  If they give you kickback make it into a game.  Take the bin and move it around while they try to get the toys in.  Race them to clean it up (I let them win so it's more fun and to encourage them to do it again).

---

Watch a movie (I vote Star Wars!)

When in doubt watch a movie.  I know there's a lot of negative press around kids watching tv, but lets be real.  We all do it.  And what adult has the mental capacity to entertain a toddler for 12 hours with one nap?  No one and it's my job.  It's a great distraction when you need to get work done or calm down an upset child.  Plus with educational programs such as Nick Jr or PBS, there are lots of opportunities for kids to learn while watching their favorite shows.  So don't beat yourself up for flipping on the TV.  You're a good mom or (if you're me) nanny and we'll get through this together! 

Love from Brew City,

x Jess




Comments

Popular Posts